Just as the arrival of a little one brings joy to the whole family, so does the responsibility of a beautiful, accurate and meaningful naming.
Every parent should be cautious about choosing a name because the baby is going to carry it for the rest of his/her life and it will also have an impact on the person’s personality.
Every parent wants to be with their children like a shadow throughout their life, or they want to reflect the shadow of their own personality in their child. So, it is a good idea to name a baby with names that mean shadow.
Usually parents don’t want to use those names that mean shadow, as the shadow is synonymous with evil, dark, impurity. But if we see the biblical meaning of shadow, it is mentioned frequently in the Bible, usually as “God’s protective presence”.
So now if you want to give your baby a good and meaningful name but lack ideas then here are some amazing name suggestions to help you out. Let’s check it out.
Girl Names That Mean Shadow
If you want your little princess to grow with a strong personality, to have the courage to fight life’s battles, to make herself independent and sturdy in life, then naming her with a good name that means shadow can have a good impact on her.
Here is a compiled list of names meaning shadow to help you choose a precious name for your precious little one.
- Adrenna Italian origin meaning of ‘shadow’
- Brangwen Welsh origin means ‘dark and pure’
- Corvina American origin means ‘dark-haired raven’
- Darci Irish origin means ‘a stubborn, dark person’
- Fascienne Latin name means ‘a woman of dark beauty’
- Hamutal Hebrew Origin means ‘the shadow of his heat’ &‘of the morning dew’
- Jemisha Sanskrit origin means ‘queen of darkness’
- Melanie Greek name means ‘someone who is covered by Shadows’
- Ombretta Italian name means ‘a dusky resemblance’
- Scathach Irish Origin means ‘One who is in the shadow’
Boy Names That Mean Shadow
A unique virtuous name can inspire your baby boy to be a wise and successful warrior, motivate him to face every challenge of life and shine like glory. Therefore naming him with a name that means shadow can capture a powerful spirit within the little one.
So, for your precise selection, here is a list of names we’ve prepared for you.
- Betzazel Hebrew origin means ‘in the shadow of God’
- Draven modern name means ‘one who comes out of the shadows’
- Erebus Greek origin, meaning is ‘deep darkness’
- Itzal Basque origin, means ‘shadow’
- Mrak Bosnian origin means ‘shadow’
- Mohanjot Indian origin means ‘the person always covers by shadow’
- Niratap indian origin name means ‘the one who is filled with shadows’
- Ozul Gothic origin, meaning is ‘shadow’
- Perran Cornish name means ‘little dark one’
- Tirich Pashto origin,meaning is ‘shadow’
Names That Mean Shadow or Darkness
Parents often hesitate to name their child with a name that means shadow or darkness, as they think of it as evil, impure, and negativity.
But, if you see from another perspective, shadow is a mysterious thing. Whenever there is light, there is also shadow. They exist as an entity.
Here is a list with some names that mean shadow or darkness for your precise selection.
- Achlys A Greek originated name means ‘darkness’
- Cethin Welsh origin means ‘dark skinned’
- Delancy Irish name means ‘dark challenger’
- Kakarauri Maori originated name means ‘garment of darkness’
- Leighla An Arabian name means ‘dark-haired’
- Mei A Chinese name means ‘dark’
- Orpheus A Greek name means ‘darkness of night’
- Verjo Originated from Finnish culture means ‘shadow’
- Zillah A Hebrew name means ‘shadow’
Other Names That Mean Shadow
Do not think that the list of names is over. Here is a list of several other names that means shadow or close to it.
- Blagdan American origin, means ‘from the dark valley’
- Chhaya An Indian name, means ‘shadow’
- Devroop An Indian name, means ‘god of shadow’
- Ena An Irish name, means ‘shadow’
- Gethwine A Welsh name, means ‘dusky one’
- Keket An Egyptian name, means ‘goddess of darkness’
- Morissa American in origin means ‘dark-skinned’
- Nizhalgal Indian ,means ‘a shadow, similar to the person’
- Strega Italian originated name, means ‘witch’
- Tamala African in origin,means ‘dark tree’
Names Meaning Shadow That Are Gender Neutral
When we are choosing a name for a baby we usually tend to choose a masculine or feminine name. But names which are gender neutral can also be a good name and can hold a good meaning. Below is the list of names which are gender neutral for your reference.
- Erembour English, means ‘who rides shadows’
- Duana English origin ,means ‘little dark one’
- Goni A Hebrew name, means ‘shadow’
- Poemu A Japanese name ,means a shadow or silhouette that protects
- Neeshika Indian name means ‘dark period’
- Onyx Aboriginal name, means ‘dusky gem stone’
- Sachet Indian origin which means ‘pure existence’
- Shade An American originated name ,means ‘in shadow’
- Sullivan Gaelic originated name ,means ‘having dark eyes’
- Tamesis English name ,means ‘one who is dark’
Unisex gothic names
If you are still looking for more unique baby names with a meaning of darkness, then this list of goth names can relieve you from that tension.
- Gossamer meaning ‘a film of cobwebs’
- Inclementia Latin name, means ‘cruelty’
- Lilith name means ‘a demon’ in Jewish mythology
- Pestilentia means ‘infectious disease’
- Solanine means ‘a type of poison found in nightshade’
- Astaroth means ‘the Grand Duke hell’
- Belial A Hebrew name for the devil
- Hades means ‘the king of underworld’
- Lucifer another name of devil
- Necro name is relating to death
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What name means eternal darkness?
There is a huge list of names that means eternal darkness. Here are some examples of names that mean eternal darkness- Abanus, Adaj, Blakesly, Charna etc.
2. What does the name means dark moon?
There are number of names that mean dark moon for example- Aitne, Cordelia, Esmeray etc.
3. What name means Queen of darkness?
If you are talking about precise,then Jemisha is the name which means Queen of Darkness, which derived from Sanskrit.
4. What name represents black?
There are many names that mean black. But Kali is the most popular name which represents black. It also represents the Hindu goddess of destruction.
Read more : Top 50 Nature-Inspired Names That Mean Earth